Sunday 22 February 2009

HDR Experimentation

Yesterday and today I started playing around with my camera again. I'd always been interested in HDR images and have never managed to make a decent one. HDR Image = High Dynamic Range Image. In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques. The intention of HDRI is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows. My first inspiration came from this amazing image of an Aston Martin V8 that I found on Flickr which was shot by Rob aka Robmcm. I just think the whole image works so nicely, the tones and reflections are just awesome.


So yeah, that was my inspiration and I took a few "experimental" shots of different objects, which to be quite frank, came out crap. Yet I then tried doing a HDR of my girlfriend's Ford KA. By using Photomatrix Pro I managed to come up with this...

It was shot on an overcast day at about 4 in the afternoon. I was pretty pleased with how it came out as it was my first real HDR. Yet once posted on Flickr I managed to get some feedback from Guru Photographer Dan Hodson, who advised me to sort out the white balance of the image. I will know for next time!

No comments: