Wednesday 8 October 2008

6th October - 8th October 08

Over the weekend and the last three days I have come up with a grand total of five designs! I had a few designs in my minds eye from the get go so just had to transcribe them into visuals. A couple of concepts didn't look too good once put onto paper. Yet I worked and worked at different ideas, manipulating them together, using inspirations from all over the place, and ended up coming up with some cool results.

Every autistic individual had a bit of an "obsession" with certain things. I have had first hand experience with an autistic child and his obsession was papers. He tore us pages out of books into strip, all exactly the same size. No word of a lie he had about 10,000 of them. They were all sorted into different piles, and if one paper was missing, he would know which one it was and would be able to find it. I used that as my starter point for the first design.

Whilst sat watching TV over the weekend I spoke to a couple of my housemates about what they thought of when the heard the word Austism. The majority said repetitive behaviour, OCD related. This gave me the inspiration for the next idea. One thing that popped into my head was a light switch, Tom used to turn it off and on a couple of times before he kept it on entering a
room. There were many different designs before I landed on this one, but this was my favourite.


During the ideas generation crit last Friday, Neil brought up a couple of interesting facts about the hearing of autistic individuals. This led me to do a bit of research on the hearing, which then led to th idea of sound waves. By picking relevant sections of the research I had done, I came up with these two designs.

I do like these designs but it just felt like there was something missing. Recently all my work has been very mono tone and quite dark, so with the idea of soundwaves in my head I came up with the following.


Yet I just stil didn't have what I wanted. I therefore started playing around with a bit of colour, to spice it up a little bit, something completely off the point of autism. This led to the next few designs which I am pretty pleased with. The different colours are just different variations of the design.


Please comment.

No comments: