Thursday 2 October 2008

2nd October 08

We were given our first brief today; Look Again / Think Again. It was given as part of a new unit called Visual Communication in Context 2. The idea behind Look Again / Think Again is to create an A3 poster with one of the two following outcomes;

  • A social issue that in your opinion has been over looked and needs addressing,
OR
  • An object which carries values that go beyond it's intended purpose or everyday use.
After having a mini critique amongst a small group of us I came up with a couple of ideas, ranging from a missing body sense, to the awareness of disabilities. I toyed with the idea of using music, different songs having different meanings to you, certain memories with certain people. Yet in the end I decided to focus on a personal and social subject; Autism. I believe that many, many people don't really have a clue about autism, or if they do, all they know is that it is a disability involving social impairments. Therefore, my aim is to make people more aware of what autism is and the characteristics of the disability. I have had first hand experience with a severely austistic child for over three years as my ex girlfriends brother suffers from it, so I have a fairly good understanding of how the disability works and I think this will benefit me with the task in hand. I have had a few ideas and its now time to develop them.

No comments: